[Development] QtNetwork: using system proxy by default

shane.kearns at accenture.com shane.kearns at accenture.com
Mon Oct 15 18:33:39 CEST 2012

Apparently not, I don't know why Microsoft implemented it this way.
The result is only cached if a PAC script is successfully downloaded.

The DHCP method doesn't serve the PAC url together with the IP address, it's a separate query sent to the DHCP server by the browser (or us)

If autodetection fails, it returns "no proxy" for this request, but tries autodetection again next time the API is called.

The autodetection procedure looks like this pseudocode (but is all one API call to us):
for(tries=0;tries<2;tries++) {
    send(DHCP_INFORM requesting option 252);
    if (wait_for_response(6 seconds)) {
        pac_url = response;
        break;
    }
}
if(!pac_url) {
    pac_url = "http://wpad/wpad.dat";
}

When using the windows API, we can enable either DNS, DHCP or both.
Using DNS only would be faster, but may not work for some users if their office network used DHCP only deployment.

Also, I checked today and it looks like Chromium have now implemented DHCP autodetection by themselves as well. They are checking it on startup & caching the results.