[Development] Replacing Cleanlooks and Plastique

Konrad Rosenbaum konrad at silmor.de
Mon Oct 15 18:35:01 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Monday 15 October 2012 15:56:23 Bache-Wiig Jens wrote:
> The main focus of Qt on the desktop is to provide a native look and feel on
> all platforms. Until now, Qt has come bundled with a few extra styles that
> were not used intentionally anywhere. Historically plastique was designed
> to blend with KDE 3.0 and cleanlooks in early Gnome environments. They
> have long since been replaced by Oxygen and GTK+ styles on these platforms
> but have been left in our repository for historical and compatibility
> reasons. We certainly don't need multiple non-native looks and feels
> included in every build of Qt so I think we should clean it up a bit now
> that we have the opportunity.

Those are not obsolete. They still ship with KDE 4, it just uses Oxygen by
default. So I wouldn't call then "non-native", just "less common".

Call me a hopeless case, but the first thing I do on a fresh KDE is changing
the style to one of those two because I find them more visually aiding than
Oxygen (they have better contrast and are less "flashy").

> There are still a few use cases where including a non-native theme is
> useful. This can be on platforms that don't have a desktop environment or
> if an application wants to customise the colours of certain widgets.

Changing color is not the only reason to change the style. There are other
subtle differences - e.g. Cleanlooks displays labels on menu separators and
looks almost completely native on Windows (I use it for exactly those reasons
in one of my applications).

If I just wanted to change colors, I'd use a style sheet.

> I expect it to have some more visual tweaks, but unless there are loud
> protests, I would like to have this change in before the next beta.

Does this count as loud protest?

	Konrad