[Development] Proposal: Make QPen non-cosmetic by default

Uwe Rathmann Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de
Mon Oct 15 20:30:41 CEST 2012

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 07:32:52 +0000, Knoll Lars wrote:

> to make it really logical would probably also require to
> make 0 width pens invisible

You are hitting the point: obviously setting a pen width of 0 enables a
special mode and doesn't really set a pen width:

- disabling the hardware accelerated path ( on systems that have one )
- making the pen cosmetic
- ... ?

In opposite to Samuel I see this hardware accelerated mode as important -
even so important that it should stay the default mode. And when this
mode only works for cosmetic pens ( ? ) I strongly argue for not changing
the default setting.

IMO a clean API should offer all attributes explicitly - not hidden
behind an invalid width of a pen. So after reading Samuels explanations I
would see the proposal of Jens as an improvement for the API - but not
enough to clean up the API.

So when you really want to introduce an incompatibility like this now,
please clean up the "pen width 0" API completely.

Uwe