[Development] Mixing OpenGL and Raster

Sorvig Morten Morten.Sorvig at digia.com
Tue Oct 16 11:01:17 CEST 2012

On Oct 15, 2012, at 9:36 PM, Uwe Rathmann <Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de> wrote:

> But when really trying to work with OpenGL I came across many other
> problems. F.e. I remember that OpenGL surfaces are always sorted on top
> of regular surfaces ignoring the window stack. I found several situations
> where the framework tries to restore the screen from some cache that
> doesn't exist for a OpenGL surface …

The OpenGL surface stacking issues sound familiar, this is also hard/impossible to get right using Cocoa on Mac.

One possible solution I've been considering is client side compositing: Create one OpenGL surface for each top-level QWindow, then render child QWindow raster content into a texture and OpenGL content into a FBO.

Granted this moves you even further away from native x11 painting, but do you think it could be a feasible solution on the hardware you are working with?

Morten