[Development] Proposal: Make QPen non-cosmetic by default

Uwe Rathmann Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de
Thu Oct 18 07:53:50 CEST 2012

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 16:47:00 +0200, Samuel Rødal wrote:

> Seems to me to be the best compromise to avoid completely breaking too
> much existing code.

I don't agree - it is going to break many applications doing graphics and
PDF export for a micro modification that isn't much better than the
existing API. Is this really worth the incompatibility ?

Please have in mind that for Qwt I will have the problem that all pens
are created in application code, while the painter ( and its render hints
) is usually created inside of the Qwt library. An exception are f.e.
report generators: here the exported plot is part of a document and the
application creates the painter passing it together with a target
rectangle to Qwt.

I have no idea how to hide the incompatibility inside of the Qwt library.
I'm afraid in the end it will be something every Qwt application has to
handle manually.

Uwe