[Development] Summary of renaming changes

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Oct 18 19:16:37 CEST 2012

On quinta-feira, 18 de outubro de 2012 17.47.16, Giuseppe D'Angelo wrote:
> > The following are user applications and they have not and will not be
renamed:
> >         qdbus
> >         qdbusviewer
> >         assistant
> >         designer
> >         linguist
> >         creator
> >         pixeltool
>
> I would remove creator from this list as it's a different ""product""
> and comes with its own versioning and release cycle -- are all of
> those 100% compatible with Qt 4? (First thing that comes to mind is
> that designer loads plugins...). Otherwise, I would rename them as
> well to enable coinstallation.

I added Creator to the list so that I could answer this exact question:

Does anyone here think we should have two versions of Creator installed, one
for developing Qt 4 applications and one for developing Qt 5 ones?

Creator needs *some* solution of some kind so that its Designer component can
work for Qt 4 and Qt 5.

One solution is to run designer out-of-process so that it can load the proper
plugins -- this also solves the problem of the MinGW / MSVC incompatibility on
Windows. This would require having designer renamed.

Another solution is to require the plugin upgrade, but continue to generate
backwards-compatible .ui files. That is, the plugin that provides KListWidget
should be upgraded too, to work in Qt 5, but continue to generate .ui data
that Qt 4's uic can understand and generate proper code for.

When I questioned briefly the Creator devs, they didn't seem too inclined to do
former option. That means we're going to require the second, moving the burden
to the plugin developers.