[Development] Summary of renaming changes

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Oct 19 08:27:40 CEST 2012

On sexta-feira, 19 de outubro de 2012 06.07.34, Kalinowski Maurice wrote:
> On Windows there is no global qmake or such to call and distinguish between
> versions. Each Qt version will have to live in its own package, either made
> by the binary distribution or self-compiled. Hence that argument is
> obsolete.

For Windows, that's correct.

> So you are creating distribution scripts which then point to the currently
> used Qt version for qmake? If not, who is creating those for the other
> libraries/tools, which follow a similar attempt of having a simlink in
> /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin pointing to libexec. Has anyone talked to those
> package managers how they see it?

No, we're not creating scripts. As I replied to Lorn, I don't see the value in
having qmake duplicated in $bindir and $libexecdir.

Since $bindir/qmake is already taken, if we put something in $bindir, it needs
to be called something else. The only other option is to not install anything
in $bindir. If we choose that, however, how will users find qmake in the first
place?

So we have $bindir/qmake5 and we update all the documentation to say "qmake5".
What's the use of $libexecdir/qmake now?

In my plan, "qmake" will never be for Qt 5. Whether it's for Qt 3 or for Qt 4,
it's undefined. That mess is already present and we can't fix it anymore.