[Development] Summary of renaming changes

Koehne Kai Kai.Koehne at digia.com
Fri Oct 19 09:45:15 CEST 2012

I guess the reason is that there's already a qmlviewer - the Qt 4 one. If we also go with qmlscene ->qml2viewer, we'd have

qmlviewer -> qt4
qml1viewer -> Qt 5, Qt Quick 1
qml2viewer -> Qt 5, Qt Quick 2

Not exactly intuitive, is it ? :( Also, what happens if we release a Qt 6 with a qml 2 compatibility viewer?

Thinking about it, I'd rather keep the qmlviewer, qmlscene names, and go for

qmlviewer -> qt 4
qmlviewer5 -> qt 5 , qtquick 1
qmlscene5 -> qt 5 , qtquick 2

> 	[qml1plugindump had already been renamed]
>

> This should be reverted back to qmlplugindump .. (Same reason as above..
> For QtQuick2, the related binaries can be renamed to qml2* (to reflect the
> version change)
>

> 	qmlscene -> qml2scene
>

> This should be qml2viewer.
>
> 	qmlplugindump -> qml2plugindump

I have two problems with the 'qml2x' names:
 - It can be misread as a qml _to_ x converter tool
 - What happens if we have a QML2 compatibility module in qt 6?

I think we should go therefore for following the names from the other modules, and just add a '5' at the end for tools that we probably cannot promise compatibility for in a hypothetical Qt 6. The only exception being qmlplugindump, because there are two versions of it even in Qt 5:

qml1plugindump5
qml2plugindump5

> 	qmlbundle -> qml2bundle

qmlbundle5

(yes, it cannot be used with Qt Quick 1, but that's a documentation issue)

> 	qmlmin -> qml2min

I'd be very surprised if qmlmin cannot also handle .qml files from QtQuick1 (Qt 5 or Qt 4) -> can stay qmlmin.

> 	qmlprofiler -> qml2profiler

qmlprofiler5

(yes, it cannot be used with Qt Quick 1 right now, but that's a documentation issue. If there's demand we could even make it compatible ...)

> 	qmltestrunner -> qml2testrunner

qmltestrunner has an option to run with Qt Quick 1 -> can stay qmltestrunner.