[Development] Summary of renaming changes

Ziller Eike Eike.Ziller at digia.com
Fri Oct 19 10:47:08 CEST 2012

Another thing that comes to my mind, that will break when renaming tools, instead of installing links in paths like "/usr/bin" and keeping the the tools unrenamed in specific version directories:

At the moment one can define an "external tool" in Qt Creator.
Configuration of these external tools is in Environment > External Tools, you can define any executable to run there with arguments etc, and a menu item for the tool will be shown in Tools > External.

E.g. we ship by default with an external tool definition for running lupdate and lrelease, and the "executable" we run is defined as:

%{CurrentProject:QT_INSTALL_BINS}/lrelease

Qt Creator resolves that variable in there by taking the current project, taking the current Qt version setting for that project, and asking that Qt version for "qmake -query QT_INSTALL_BINS".

At the moment that should work for Qt4 and Qt5.
If you rename lrelease to lrelease5 (or any other tool that we ship), this is no longer possible and gets pretty fancy.

++ Eike