[Development] Summary of renaming changes

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Oct 19 19:30:54 CEST 2012

On sexta-feira, 19 de outubro de 2012 07.31.21, Knoll Lars wrote:
> >       qdbusxml2cpp -> qdbusxml2cpp5
> >       qdbuscpp2xml -> qdbuscpp2xml5
>
> Do we need to rename the dbus tools? They are compatible afaik.

Slightly... There's one change, which is the change on the annotations from
"com.trolltech" to "org.qtproject" (yes, without the dash). The Qt 4 version
of the tool warns but accepts the old name, the Qt 5 version errors out.

I can bring it back to compatibility though. I'll also add a "--qt5" option
that is currently ignored to both versions, for future use.

> But the name changes should be mostly invisible to developers as the tools
> are being called by the build system.
> >       lconvert        -> lconvert5
> >       lrelease        -> lrelease5
> >       lupdate -> lupdate5
>
> These tools are in-between, as they IMO get called both by build systems as
> well as by developers directly. But if they are not compatible with Qt 4,
> we can't really have the same name unfortunately.

Indeed. Right now, they produce the same output, as far as I understand, but
Ossi says he cannot guarantee that it will remain like that.

What's more, both lrelease and lupdate now try to parse .pro files and they run
qmake for that. Those two are definitely not backwards compatible anymore.