[Development] Alternative Proposal (was: Re: Summary of renaming changes)

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Oct 19 20:13:22 CEST 2012

On sexta-feira, 19 de outubro de 2012 13.24.37, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> Regardless of the solution we find for Qt distro packages, it seems
> sensible  that the Qt users can continue to find a /usr/bin/qmake program
> that corresponds to the most recent release of Qt. This provides
> consistency with Qt on other platforms as well as the handling of other
> command line programs such as python, gcc, ruby, etc. within the distros.

I'm not sure I agree with this part. For one thing, you can bet that "qmake"
will *not* be Qt 5's for the next year or two, as people are still developing
Qt 4 applications.

And like I said in another email, Qt 5's qmake is in an entirely different
category from gcc, ruby, etc.

But I'm glad you brought python up!

Fedora$ ls -l /bin/python /bin/python?
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root     7 Aug  6 15:23 /bin/python -> python2
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root     9 Aug  6 15:23 /bin/python2 -> python2.7
-rwxr-xr-x. 3 root root 12888 Jun  7 22:36 /bin/python3

openSUSE$ ls -l /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/python?
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Jul  8 03:03 /usr/bin/python -> python2.7
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Jul  8 03:03 /usr/bin/python2 -> python2.7
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Oct 19 10:38 /usr/bin/python3 -> python3.2

Debian$ ls -l /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/python?
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 May 14 11:03 /usr/bin/python -> python2.6

Ubuntu$
$ ls -l /usr/bin/python{,?}
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Apr 17  2012 /usr/bin/python -> python2.7
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Apr 17  2012 /usr/bin/python2 -> python2.7

As you can see, they are not symlinks to /etc/alternatives/. Those are non-
configurable symlinks. So even if Python 3 were installed on those Ubuntu and
Debian, it still wouldn't have overwritten.

If you want to take python as precedence, then we conclude "qmake" is for Qt 4
and we need to find a new name for Qt 5.