[Development] Alternative Proposal

Lorn Potter lorn.potter at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 00:38:20 CEST 2012

On 20/10/12 7:37 AM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On sábado, 20 de outubro de 2012 05.00.53, Lorn Potter wrote:
>> I won't add anything but my support for leaving it alone. Let the Linux
>> distributions solve their own problems, which they already have.
>
> Once again: the problem may have originated with the distros and their rules,
> but that affects *us* and our *users*.
>
> The distros *will* apply renaming. And without our help, they may introduce
> bugs and they will be definitely deviating from the documented way.

Then that's their problem, not qt-projects.

This is only one platform that this effects, and only under certain
conditions.

We didn't need to rename commands going from qt2 ->qt3, nor from qt3 ->qt4.
Personally I don't think there is a problem. With the name change comes
heaps of problems on the other platforms. Less problems wins.

Personally I think it's a big waste of time, and too big of change to be
done now. This feature should have to wait until qt 6.

First and foremost, where's the bug reports from linux distros that need
this change, or is the problem made up?