[Development] New proposal for the tool naming

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Oct 22 22:46:09 CEST 2012

On segunda-feira, 22 de outubro de 2012 21.21.17, André Pönitz wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 09:08:38AM -0700, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > On segunda-feira, 22 de outubro de 2012 15.45.56, Oswald
> >
> > Buddenhagen wrote:
> > >
> > > only if you conveniently ignore my two (or three?) mails saying
> > > the exact opposite. the problem with renaming the libraries is
> > > the same as with tools: project files not based on qmake need to
> > > be adjusted.
> >
> > Indeed, but I contest that those changes are minor, expected and
> > understandable. The vast majority of the users are probably using
> > either qmake or cmake (99%?) and those are taken care of already.
>
> That would leave Visual Studio at less than 1%, which is certainly
> not in sync with any survey I've seen during the last ten years.

I must confess I have no idea how many people are using Visual Studio today
and I must also admit I have not a clue about how the add-in or qmake-
generated .vcproj files work.

But I can make one qualified assumption: if you can start Visual Studio from
outside the Qt prompt, then those .vcproj files and the add-in must work --
somehow -- without depending on $PATH. That means they either hardcode a path
or they find it somewhere in the registry. My guess is both: qmake hardcodes
the paths in the .vcproj it generates and the add-in finds Qt through the
registry.

That would put them in Bucket B in my list.

> > I beg to differ. Let's take the example of a buildsystem that is
> > trying to retain source compatibility (thus, we're excluding cmake
> > and, for many things, qmake too [think of QT += widgets
> > print-support]). We can group them in two buckets:
> >
> > A) those that run those tools without absolute paths B) those that
> > run them with absolute paths
> >
> > How do they find the absolute path? The only answer is "qmake
> > -query QT_INSTALL_BINS".
>
> C) It's hard coded. Having company policies saying "All sources
> have to be on a X:\Project 0815\Sources, and Q:\ is subst'ed
> to a place with a Qt installation we want you to use today"
> is more common than either of us may wish for...

You can't add a third option to a binary choice. Either the paths are absolute
or they aren't, there's no other alternative.

Semantics aside, your option C is part of Bucket B: a specific case of absolute
paths where the contents of that path change over time. All the user needs is
a Qt version that defaults to "prefix Q:\". The only problem I see would be if
the layout *under* Q:\ is different from version to version, but that's why we
have all those -*dir options to configure.