[Development] New proposal for the tool naming

Konstantin Ritt ritt.ks at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 15:58:29 CEST 2012

Re on adjusting all the documentation to say "run qmake -qt5":
Let's count who will have Qt5 co-/installed:
1) Those who's DE is built against Qt5 and thus Qt5 is the default Qt
there; though, they may have Qt4 co-installed until all the qt-apps
in-use are ported to Qt5;
2) Those who are still on Qt4-based DE but want some qt-apps where Qt5
is installed as a dependency (most-probably they'll have the libraries
only);
3) Developers who need to build something against Qt5;
4) Ones who installs everything because they do not know what they are doing ;)

Only 1) and 3) are the ones who do need qmake. In both cases, it seems
to be safe to make Qt5 the default version that qmake is pointing to.
Moreover, shouldn't we mention Qt5 as a drop-in replacement for
Qt3/Qt4? So if the user does need to build something Qt based, let the
latest system-wide Qt version be the default one! I fhe doesn't, he
don't need qmake either.

quite enough...

kind regards,
Konstantin