[Development] New proposal for the tool naming

Ziller Eike Eike.Ziller at digia.com
Tue Oct 23 18:33:05 CEST 2012

On 22 Oct 2012, at 17:11, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

>>> It's easy to add a -qt5 ignored option to the regular qmake too.
>>
>> So that if you happen to have a "real" qmake instead of the wrapper in the
>> PATH on linux, you don't realize that when you are doing "qmake -qt5" to
>> force "most current qt5 version" (or whatever the semantics would be), you
>> actually execute a completely different qmake? I don't think that would be
>> a good idea.
>
> It will do that too if it's in a separate build looking at a non-standard
> configuration path.

I don't get what you mean with that.

> That's mostly what's going to happen on Windows anyway,
> isn't it?

My concerns are about having -qt5 ignored for the "real" qmake on linux. On Windows and Mac the -qt option is useless anyhow (which makes it questionable to use it there IMO, so it makes it questionable to use it in the documentation that way too IMO)

I think all this becomes much too confusing.

--
Eike Ziller, Senior Software Engineer - Digia, Qt

Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Anja Wasenius