[Development] New proposal for the tool naming

BRM bm_witness at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 23 19:42:58 CEST 2012

How is this any better then updating LSB/FHS with guidelines on how to properly install Qt on a Unix/Linux system?
Is it not easier to simply say install to /usr/share/qt-5.0.0.0 with a symlink to /usr/share/qt5, and require that distro specific tools manage symlinks to qmake/etc in the path?
Or even having /usr/share/qt in the path and simply manage a symlink to it?

KISS is a very good principle, and I don't see it being applied in this discussion. Rather we are getting lots of "if we do this we solve this, but then if we do that we solve that"; and in all cases it is will cause headaches all around except for a few people.

>>  > That's mostly what's going to happen on Windows anyway,
>>  > isn't it?
>>
>>  My concerns are about having -qt5 ignored for the "real" qmake on
> linux. On
>>  Windows and Mac the -qt option is useless anyhow (which makes it
>>  questionable to use it there IMO, so it makes it questionable to use it in
>>  the documentation that way too IMO)
>>
>>  I think all this becomes much too confusing.
>
> If the option is required in one platform and does not cause anything but a
> minor inconvenience on others, why not document it?

So then will Qmake on Windows/Mac complain about the "-qt5" argument? Or simply drop it?

$0.02

Ben