[Development] New proposal for the tool naming

Lincoln Ramsay a1291762 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 14:24:17 CEST 2012

On 24/10/12 4:04 PM, Konstantin Ritt wrote:
> You definitely don't want support multiarch configurations out-of-the-box :)
> Well, yeah, switching with `sudo ln -svf /usr/lib/qt5/libexec/qmake5
> /usr/bin/qmake5` is a way more handy than with `qmake -set-qt 5.0-x86`
> (or even with `qmake -set-qt 5x86` if you created a symlink to the
> 5.0-x86's config file).
> And yeah, switching the system-default Qt for all users just to build
> some crappyhelloworldexample .pro is a shiny new great idea :)

The original problem being solved is co-installation of Qt 4 + Qt 5 for
Linux distros.

How is any of the above relevant to that?

If you want to solve all those other problems then sure, a symlink isn't
enough but I'm not sure we need to solve all those other problems as
part of the co-installation of Qt 4 + Qt 5 for Linux distros.

You still have PATH, qset, etc. for selecting a specific build when
there are multiple available. Work on this meta-qmake that calls through
to one of many installed versions can still be done. Perhaps though,
it's not something that needs to block the release of Qt 5.0.

--
Link