[Development] xcb-icccm dependency in Qt 5/libxcb

Koehne Kai Kai.Koehne at digia.com
Thu Oct 25 11:00:40 CEST 2012

[ ...]
> There's another: "static" link the XCB libraries into the plugin.
>
> You need to have the libxcb-*.a files with -fPIC, that's all.

Hi,

I've come up with this patch so far:

https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,38146

A couple of notes:
 - I'm trying to not only link libxcb-icccm statically, but all libxcb-* libs.
 - it still leaves a general libxcb.so dependency on Ubuntu 11.10 at least, which libXext adds
 - I'm (mis)using QMAKE_LIBS because entries in LIBS are resorted alphabetically.
 - It requires a gnu linker (-Wl,-Bstatic etc)
 - It obviously requires .a files, which e.g. Ubuntu has, OpenSUSE doesn't
 - It's fragile :( The alternative is importing the xcb libs into qt itself (3rdparty), which might or might not be a lot of (maintenance) work...

Regards

Kai