[Development] xcb-icccm dependency in Qt 5/libxcb

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Oct 26 16:44:52 CEST 2012

On sexta-feira, 26 de outubro de 2012 13.29.29, Koehne Kai wrote:
> So, in summary linking statically against system libxcb-* does only work on
> Ubuntu 32 bit so far, which obviously doesn't cut it. We could try to
> import xcb into src/3rdparty, and compile from there , but it's unclear to
> me whether mixing different versions of the libxcb libraries (which
> invariably will happen at runtime, because e.g. QtGui links against libX11,
> which links against libxcb ...) is in any way supported. So I'm not sure
> how to continue. I registered on the xcb mailing list and posted there too
> in the hope that they have advice:
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xcb/2012-October/007928.html

QtGui doesn't link directly to libX11. It's an indirect link due to libGL.

As to your other question about using libxcb-* static against a different
version of libxcb.so, I'd say that it's probably fine. I can ask my colleagues
working on X, but my guess is that they don't have a private API the way we
do.

So as long as it's a newer version at runtime, it should work.