[Development] [Interest] Current status of the co-installation

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Oct 30 15:45:11 CET 2012

On terça-feira, 30 de outubro de 2012 07.29.57, Koehne Kai wrote:
> I stil don't like the qml2x convention too much. If you go through the list,
> only qmlplugindump is both qtquick1 and qtquick2, so adding a '2' to all
> the tools isn't necessary.
>
> ./lib64/qt5/bin/qml2bundle
> ./lib64/qt5/bin/qml2min
>
> I'm pretty sure qml2min also works for qml1 files, so why not just stick to
> qmlmin? It could even go to /usr/bin since it's not qt5 specific. Anyway,
> since it's probably not that often used it's also okay to 'hide' it in
> /lib64/qt5/bin...
>
> ./lib64/qt5/bin/qml2plugindump
> ./lib64/qt5/bin/qml2profiler
>
> Same here, qmlprofiler actually works for both qml1 and qml2.

I did it this way because I didn't know better. I erred in the side of
caution: especially a tool that is talking about plugins, I assumed that it
would try to load the plugins using the QML engine. And then I assumed that
the other tools did similarly use the engine somehow.

Now I'm hearing some interesting new information. If you tell me that a tool
works for Qt Quick 1 and 2, then it can have the "2" dropped from its name. I
just need a confirmation that it will stay that way.

And yes, we can place it in the applications dir as well, if it's meant for
users to run them too.

> ./lib64/qt5/bin/qml2scene
>
> So why not stay with qmlscene here, if the qtquick1 one is still qmlviewer?

To be honest, to keep consistency. All the QQ2 tools are "qml2" right now. But
your new information might change that.

> ./lib64/qt5/bin/qml2testrunner
> ./lib64/qt5/bin/qmlplugindump
> ./lib64/qt5/bin/qmlviewer
>
> Apart from the naming, is there a specific reason why qmlviewer, qml[2]scene
> isn't in /usr/bin too? If you're asking me it's much more a 'user
> application' then say lupdate. Haven't checked toolwrapper implementation
> yet, is there a problem with adding these?

There's no problem in adding those. It's quite easy, actually.

For lupdate, I changed the .pro file and, at the end where it read:

	load(qt_tool)

I changed to:

	load(qt_wrapped_tool)

That's all.