[Development] QML Profiler for Qt5

Christiaan Janssen christiaan.janssen at digia.com
Wed Oct 31 10:59:30 CET 2012

Hello Torsten,

   the internal architecture of the rendering has changed significantly
between QtQuick1 and QtQuick2, due to the fact that the second one is
based on a scene graph.  In this second case, we don't have individual
paint events to track, since the rendering is managed in a synchronous
way by the scene graph.  What individual items do is set a "dirty" flag
which will trigger a redraw on the next pass of the renderer.  In other
words, we don't have strict "paint" events with a duration, in the same
sense as we did in QtQuick1.  That's why the initial decision was to
track the updates of the animation driver instead; a measurement of the
framerate of the animations was considered to be significant when it
comes to potential optimizations a developer would be interested in.

   That being said, there are plans to display more information about
the internals of the renderer (basically, time it takes to parse the
scenegraph within a frame, and time it takes to generate the related
OpenGL commands).  Unfortunately, that is still a work in progress.

   If you are performing that rotation with a RotationAnimation,
NumberAnimation or PropertyAnimation, you should be able to see the
frames in the profiler trace.  If you are only updating the related
property with some sort of timer by using bindings or overwriting the
value from JavaScript, you will only see the event related to the code
that modifies said property in the bindings section or/and in the
JavaScript tab of the profiler.

   best regards,
   Christiaan Janssen