[Development] Pending decisions on co-installation

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at digia.com
Wed Oct 31 15:14:08 CET 2012

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 01:26:09PM +0100, Jan Kundrát wrote:
> On 10/31/12 12:23, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > renaming is unnecessary:
> > - there is no problem at all at run-time
> > - the problem at build time is solved by -L flags. there is no need for
> >   an unversioned symlink in /usr/lib.
>
> On RHEL6, this is how it looks right now:
>
> kundratj at noe2 ~ $ locate /libQtCore.so
> /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4
> /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4.6
> /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4.6.2
>
> If I remember correctly, it's rather hard to persuade the linker to
> ignore stuff below /usr/lib64 and use some other destination instead.

there is no need to make it ignore anything, as -lQtCore would not find
any of the above files. the unversioned symlink would be found by virtue
of adding -L/usr/lib64/qt5/lib to the linker command line, and that
directory (which you get from qmake -query QT_INSTALL_LIBS) containing
said unversioned symlink. this really isn't rocket science ...