[Development] Harmattan - QtJsBackend/V8 build issues

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Mon Sep 3 12:02:47 CEST 2012

> It's in mkspecs/qconfig.pri and part of QT_CONFIG (v8snapshot).
>
> Can you check if the configure check for sbox works for you?

I have briefly discussed the issue with Simon this morning on IRC, and I
would like to share the gist according to my understanding. Feel free to
fix me, if I am wrong.

There are two environments here while developing and packaging for
Harmattan: the local scratchbox environment and the build farm (c-obs). If
I build the qt5-base package on my local machine in scratchbox, the
QT_CONFIG variable does not contain the v8snapshopt entry in that
qconfig.pri file generated by the configure process. The problem was caused
by the generated qt5-base package on the build farm (c-obs) consisting of
the qconfig.pri file which had the v8snapshot entry for the QT_CONFIG
variable. This made my local scratchbox qt5-jsbackend build fail when
installing the dependency from the remote and distributed repository on the
c-obs.

That is an interesting question why the qt5-jsbackend package built
successfully on the build farm since that also uses scratchbox as far as I
know. As for the time being, I have just locally removed the v8snapshot
entry from that file as a workaround in order to build in scratchbox
locally when I wish so.

To avoid this situation in the future, it would be nice if this
configuration detection ran during the qt5-jsbackend process. Otherwise
there can be a qconfig.pri in place which does not work as expected for
either of those environments. This would mean either build failure or
missing v8 snapshot functionlity. An explicitely -no-v8snapshot option
would not behave as expected either accordingly. In general, module
specific configurations would be more logical in my opinion during the
relevant module configuration process.

Thank you for the help.

Laszlo

PS.: Seems, now we have the following Qt5 Beta 1 packages available on the
c-obs for Harmattan right away: qt-3d, qt5-base, qt5-declarative,
qt5-jsbackend, qt5-location, qt5-multimedia, qt5-script, qt5-sensors, and
qt5-xmlpatterns.