[Development] Removing Wacom support in Qt5

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Sep 6 09:03:56 CEST 2012

On quinta-feira, 6 de setembro de 2012 08.53.11, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > Another point to consider:
> >
> > 1) Quick 2.0 is the way to go, but it targets designers
> > 2) Designers use mostly Adobe suite and other similar tools
> >
> >      (this means probably Wacoms in there)
> >
> > 3) Even with the Wacom unplugged the bugs are present, killing the
> > usefulness of even QtCreator
> > 4) Many scenarios will pop where designers+coders work in the same
> > workstations 5) These wacom problems will become common as time passes
> >
> > Myself have a room with 40+ workstations where the driver is
> > installed/uninstalled at least once a week, it's a nightmare.
>
> Huh? Qt Creator works fine here... And I've got a wacom plugged in all the
> time. You seem to be saying that people designing an application with Qt
> Creator have trouble because they have a wacom attached, and that that's a
> reason Qt should drop its tablet support? That sounds weird to me.

He's saying that Qt Creator and those other applications don't work on those
workstations that have Wacom tablets installed. You know very well that
working for you is no guarantee that it works for everyone.

Sadly, our current support for tablets is very, very limited. We know it
breaks every other release -- since it is never tested before a release, it
breaks; then we get bug reports, it gets fixed, and then in the next release,
it breaks again.

I'd prefer if we fix this once and for all. Maybe the QPA architecture makes it
simpler to keep working. Who knows...

But since I made the suggestion to remove it: if we can't get it tested and
get it to work, just disable the support. No code needs to be removed. Just
make the loading of the Wacom DLL always fail.