[Development] Removing Wacom support in Qt5

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Sep 6 09:41:28 CEST 2012

On Thursday 06 September 2012 Sep, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On quinta-feira, 6 de setembro de 2012 09.13.01, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > > But since I made the suggestion to remove it: if we can't get it tested
> > > and  get it to work, just disable the support. No code needs to be
> > > removed. Just make the loading of the Wacom DLL always fail.
> >
> > So, basically, QTabletEvent will still exist, but will be useless?
>
> It will never be delivered.

Right, so it will be useless, then. Code will compile, but the application will be broken and porting to Qt5 will become a really difficult task.

I know that there are problems with Qt and tablet support -- that with some versions of the wacom driver on Windows, there are way too many events happening for an application to manage, or that on Linux only Wacom tablets and no non-wacom tablets are supported and so on (though there's a patch in Jira for that).

For me as an application developer, I wonder what the alternative would be. I guess to write two platform specific event handlers myself (win and X11, I cannot afford a Mac) and synthesize the QTabletEvents... Do a fund raiser to get me some different kinds of tablets and see how to support those.

--
Boudewijn Rempt