[Development] Qt5 Beta1 packages for Ubuntu

Zoltán Balogh zoltan.balogh at canonical.com
Sun Sep 9 17:47:28 CEST 2012

Hi,

Today I published all modules from the Qt5 Beta1 for packaged Precise
and Quantal : https://launchpad.net/~canonical-qt5-edgers/+archive/qt5-daily

The packages are for i386, amd64 and armhf architectures.

Each module is a single installable package and they just simple install
under the /opt/qt5/

The primary purpose of this repository is to provide ready built and
installable Qt5 Beta1 release for those who want to evaluate the Qt5 or
just simple wish play with it.

The secondary purpose was to see how Qt5 modules behave in real build
systems. It is an essential exercise before we push the Qt5 Beta to
Debian and Ubuntu distributions. For the Qt5 developers and maintainers
I would recommend to check how their code behaves in a real build system.

Most of the modules compile, build and get packaged straight forward,
but many of them needed minor fixes and  tunings. The QtWebKit for
example fails to compile and link on armhf target, the qtsensors has
conflicting examples.pro with the qtbase, the qt3d has some 4.8 legacy
stuff. The qtwayland has incorrect settings for installation destination
and wrong path for the xkbcommon.h in few places. The qtdeclarative
fails on the qmltest, the qtmultimedia on the spectrum. The qlalr is
missing installation and destination settings... and few other minor issues.

Most of the solutions to build and package the Qt5 modules are either
ugly hacks or simple workaround. I hope the module maintainers will
check out what cosmetic issues they need to fix in order to make the
integration of their valuable work to the distributions.

So, go ahead install the qt5-meta-full to pull the whole stack or just
the qt5-meta-minimal for the qtbase, qtjsbackend, qtdeclarative,
qtxmlpatterns, qtscript and qtwebkit modules.

Please remember to add the /opt/qt5/bin to the $PATH in order to use the
Qt5 binaries without problems.

Feedbacks and ideas are welcome!

cheers,

bzoltan