[Development] [Mingw-w64-public] Fwd: Choosing a new MinGW for Qt 5

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Wed Sep 12 09:18:38 CEST 2012

On 11.09.2012 16:55, kai.koehne at nokia.com wrote:

> There's nothing wrong with cross-compilation. But what we need first and foremost is a reliable, native MinGW environment for developing Qt applications, since the vast majority of Qt developers that develop for Windows also develop _on_ Windows. Now one can argue that Qt itself could still be compiled using a cross-compiler. But if we're not able to compile Qt ourselves with the native toolchain, how can we be sure other complex apps will work?
>
> I haven't found a stock native MinGW 64 bit package yet that can compile Qt 5 + Qt Creator. Peter seems willing to experiment with a custom package, but I personally do not see this for 5.0 .

This is more a long term goal because atm no common way of cross compiling a custom mingw version is available (only
scripts "here and there").

> I think for 5.0 , we should therefore only put MinGW 32 bit gcc 4.7 as Tier 2 or (preferably) Tier 1 platform. Support for MinGW 64 bit would be on a best effort basis (Tier 3).
>
> Now for 5.1 (that is, earliest May 2013) we should definitely reevaluate MinGW 64 bit as Tier 1 or Tier 2.
>
> What do you all think? I certainly don't want to discourage any effort in getting MinGW-64 bit and Qt 5 to work, but rather want to be realistic in  what we should aim for with 5.0.

Depends on the release date of Qt5, if it happens in 3 months I think it is possible.
But Qt5 should not be delayed only because of MinGW, most Windows developers don't care about mingw.