[Development] Proposal: reorganization of QtSystems module, since Qt5.x

Alberto Mardegan mardy at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Sep 13 14:47:17 CEST 2012

On 09/13/2012 01:27 PM, Denis Shienkov wrote:
> For a start here can add only the basic types of devices (already implemented),
> and then on future can add new supported device types (step-by-step).
>
> This is just pseudocode, I know that it contains errors. I just proposed the idea,
> so please do not judge strictly.

Your API seems ideal for someone who has to implement a device manager
application; however, as an application developer I'd expect that if I
have to use a printer, mouse, or access the network, I would find all
the needed functionality in the modules that handle these classes.

I would expect to need to use QtSystems only if I need to access some
very low-level data about the hardware.

BTW, one small thing you might want to change in your proposed
implementation is switching from "device type" to "capability". It's
sometimes very difficult to say what kind of device something is, but
you can always say that it's capable of this and that (for example, a
graphics card which provides HDMI audio).

Ciao,
  Alberto

--
http://blog.mardy.it <- geek in un lingua international!