[Development] Not stripping our binaries by default

simon.hausmann at nokia.com simon.hausmann at nokia.com
Fri Sep 14 07:15:42 CEST 2012

I think that our default configure and make rules should be tailored towards developers
deliberately building Qt from source, so IMHO it should not strip by default. When you build
Qt from source I'm not sure you care about the binary size (you're installing on your local
drive) and you might appreciate getting some useful backtraces when they happen.

I think in automake this is usually solved by make install _not_ stripping and then there being also
a "make install-strip" target that installs and strips.

Quote from the automake manual:

"
make install
    Install what needs to be installed, copying the files from the package's tree to system-wide directories.
make install-strip
    Same as make install, then strip debugging symbols. Some users like to trade space for useful bug reports...
"

Just my two øre :)

Simon