[Development] Accelerated/OpenGL drawing under Qt 5.0

Chris Meyer cmeyer1969+qt at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 16:18:44 CEST 2012

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 2:49 AM, Samuel Rødal <samuel.rodal at nokia.com> wrote:
> On 09/12/2012 06:52 AM, ext Chris Meyer wrote:
>> My software makes use of accelerated drawing using the techniques with
>> QGraphicsView and QGraphicsScene shown in this article:
>>
>> http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qq/qq26-openglcanvas.html
>>
>> Unfortunately things don't work smoothly under Qt 5.0.
>>
>> Is this technique expected to work? If not, what is the suggested way
>> to get accelerated drawing under Qt 5.0?
>>
>> Also, QGLPixelBuffer::hasOpenGLPbuffers() always returns false, where
>> it returned it true under 4.8. Is this also expected?
>
> A fix is in the pipe for this, implementing QGLPixelBuffer in terms of
> QOpenGLFramebufferObject: https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,34833

I seem to recall that I originally (about 3 years ago) chose a pbuffer
implementation because frame buffers were not widely supported on
Windows.

Is it possible to give some general advice as to the compatibility of
frame buffers vs pbuffers on Mac and Windows?

I see 5.0 has QOpenGLFramebufferObject. Is this considered to be
widely compatible with various graphics cards?