[Development] Not stripping our binaries by default

Thomas Senyk thomas.senyk at pelagicore.com
Fri Sep 14 16:21:44 CEST 2012

On Fri, September 14, 2012 04:08:57 PM Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On sexta-feira, 14 de setembro de 2012 14.56.08, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > > If it is, I'll instead add an option to configure that toggles the
> > > "nostrip"  option in CONFIG.
> >
> > that would be preferable.
>
> Commit updated.
>
> I made it default to no-stripping.

Why? Shouldn't stripping be the default?
Having "some" information in the binary isn't very helpful anyway.
I agree that package manager need something to disable stripping if it needs
to happen in another stage of package build, but that's no argument for having
it off on default.

A argument for stripping as default:
A lot of people don't know what's the right thing to do in most cases ... so
the "best" option should be taken. and the best options are IMHO:
- debug build -> all information
- release build -> best possible performance/size/...