[Development] Any plans on updating harfbuzz?

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 15:03:00 CEST 2012

Hi,

I actually came across this one by accident. I was playing with
qtperf4 [1] and was profiling the "QTextEdit - add text" since that
seems a bit slow and equally slow on raster and native. So, after
profiling it turns out that the vast majority of that benchmark is
spending it's time in qShapeItem which in turn ends up (after a bunch
of calls) in HB_GPOS_Apply_String and HB_GSUB_Apply_String. About
4/5th of the benchmark time is spend there.

So i was wondering if Qt was using the latest harfbuzz which
apparently isn't the case. It's not even visible which version Qt
ships by default, but it is visible that the current harfbuzz
development is a lot further [2].

Note: the above mentioned profiling was on Qt 4.8.3, not 5.0 beta,

Cheers,
Mark

[1] http://code.google.com/p/qtperf/
[2] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/harfbuzz/