[Development] Co-installation & executable naming rules

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Sep 24 11:30:06 CEST 2012

On segunda-feira, 24 de setembro de 2012 09.14.27, Ziller Eike wrote:
> > Let me ask you a question, though: suppose someone installs Qt 5 globally
> > as frameworks (/System/Frameworks/QtCore.framework), then updates Qt 4.8.
> > Which is the default symlink target?
>
> There is no "default symlink target".

IIRC, inside the framework dir there's a Headers subdir, and then a version
number, with a "Default" symlink or so. There's something that tells the
compiler where to search for headers when you include

	<QtCore/QString>

> For development, you wouldn't use the globally installed framework directly,
> but through the different prefixes, that way always specifying a specific
> version. The files in one or more prefixes might be symbolic links to
> actual system wide installations, or not. So, if you have a setup where the
> user can separately update the system wide framework it probably would be
> unwise to use symbolic links, and just have duplicate development versions
> instead.
>
> Btw, usually Qt 5 and Qt 4 would co-exist in the same framwork, i.e.
> /Frameworks/QtCore.framework/Versions/5/...
> /Frameworks/QtCore.framework/Versions/4/...
>
> > And how does one select, at compile time, whether to compile & link to Qt
> > 4 or to Qt 5?
>
> Since the versions that you *develop* with are installed in different
> prefixes, you adapt your -I -F and -L parameters for the different include
> & link paths (e.g. qmake does that for you).
>
> When compiling for different Mac OS SDKs you'd set a different sysroot.

Ah, I see! That explains a lot.

Final question: do our Mac binaries set up like the above? Unlike the SDK
builds for Mac, the libraries-only .dmg installs to system-wide locations and,
therefore, must follow your recommendation.

Does it do that already?