[Development] Co-installation & library naming rules

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Sep 24 11:33:31 CEST 2012

On segunda-feira, 24 de setembro de 2012 08.52.42, Ziller Eike wrote:
> > The reason why we want to be able to co-install Qt4 and Qt5 is because
> > all packages in Fedora are expected to follow the FHS as close as
> > possible and the packaging rules state that no packages are allowed to
> > conflict with each other.
>
> "- unversioned applications, like assistant, linguist, qdbus,
> 		  qdbusviewer"
>
> Wouldn't that also conflict this rule? Or are these expected to be in its
> own package separate from the "versioned" parts of Qt?

Packagers are expected to split them into separate packages and allow
installing the Qt 4 or Qt 5 versions (probably the latest, the 5 one).
Assistant, Linguist, qdbus, qdbusviewer are simple tools that do not depend on
a specific Qt version. They are capable of reading old files and saving them
back, or don't operate at all on files. In fact, Designer could be in this
category too, if we don't care about Qt 3 compatibility anymore.

When we had an incompatible change for Assistant, we released the previous
version as a separate tool for those who needed it (assistant-adp).