[Development] Qt 5 file hierarchy

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Sep 24 14:51:35 CEST 2012

On segunda-feira, 24 de setembro de 2012 12.38.51, Knoll Lars wrote:
> > The Qt 4 plugins live in the Qt4 prefix. Existing practice is that it's
> > /usr/lib$SUFFIX/qt4/{plugins,imports}. So we don't clash with those.
> >
> > Technically speaking, since we're changing to qt5 anyway, we could change
> > the default to be QtQuick2. But that means code using QtDeclarative and
> > Qt Quick 1 must install to a different directory under imports, which is
> > more change.
> The imports from the qtquick1 module already do that.

I meant the third-party code that is currently using Qt Quick 1 in Qt 4. They
need to change their buildsystem to install to a different location in Qt 5
now, then change again once they port to Qt Quick 2.

> > My proposal is to leave QtQuick 1 unchanged and establish a new hierarchy
> > for Qt Quick 2. Also note that the "share" dir I proposed does not
> > include the "qt5" name.
>
> That's scary… I wouldn't recommend that. People should explicitly test
> against Qt 4 and Qt 5 not get this implicitly.

That's orthogonal. They will need to test against Qt 5 anyway. Think of a
hypothetical "Foo Components" project that is being developed right now with
Qt 4. It installs to:

	$$QT_INSTALL_IMPORTS
		a.k.a /usr/lib/qt4/imports on most distros

Once the port to Qt 5 is done, as a first step, they'll still be using Qt Quick
1. But they still need to change their buildsystem to install now to:

	$$QT_INSTALL_IMPORTS/QtQuick1
		a.k.a. /usr/lib/qt5/imports/QtQuick1

As a second step, they will port to Qt Quick 2. Now they need to change the
install dir *back*:

	$$QT_INSTALL_IMPORTS

I'm proposing we invert that and avoid the entire mess we made with the
qtdeclarative-vs-qtquick1. By the way, have we fixed that mess?

Instead, they won't need to adapt the buildsystem when simply going to Qt 5.
They will only need to change the install dir when porting from Qt Quick 1 to
Qt Quick 2.

> > True, we could add the platform-independent search paths in a later
> > release. Also note that the search functionality is is implemented in
> > QStandardPaths. It already has the necessary logic.
>
> Let's leave this out of 5.0, to simplify things.

Ok.