[Development] [Mingw-w64-public] Fwd: Choosing a new MinGW for Qt 5

Erik van Pienbroek erik at vanpienbroek.nl
Mon Sep 24 22:24:27 CEST 2012

kai.koehne at nokia.com schreef op di 11-09-2012 om 14:55 [+0000]:
> I haven't found a stock native MinGW 64 bit package yet that can compile Qt 5 + Qt Creator. Peter seems willing to experiment with a custom package, but I personally do not see this for 5.0 .

Hi,

Just wanted to let you guys know that I managed to get the entire Qt5
stack cross-compiled successfully on a Fedora Linux host for the win32
and win64 targets using the mingw-w64 toolchain (provided by Fedora
itself). The .spec files and patches can be found at [1] (in the
'mingw-qt5-*' folders) and the packages will be added to the Fedora
repositories as soon as they pass review [2].

I'm currently in the process of trying to get as much patches as
possible upstreamed although most of the patches are Fedora specific
(like different icu or dbus linker flags).

Using this cross-compiled Qt5 from within (the native Linux) Qt Creator
is even easier, all you have to do is add a toolchain in the Qt Creator
configuration and point it to '/usr/bin/mingw32-qmake-qt5' or
'/usr/bin/mingw64-qmake-qt5'. When building your own project an .exe
file will automatically be generated for the given target which can be
redistributed along with the Qt5 libraries.

Now for the technical details about the mingw-w64 toolchain in Fedora:
* gcc 4.7.2
* binutils 2.22.52.0.4
* mingw-w64 trunk 20120718 snapshot
* gdb 7.5 (without python support atm, but I plan to add it soon)
* contains over 125 different cross-compiled packages for the win32
  and win64 targets [3]

The mingw-w64 toolchain in Fedora is currently only available as
cross-compiler, but if there's a demand we can look into the possibility
of also providing a native compiler which can make use of all
cross-compiled packages which are already in Fedora and can be
redistributed easily. We were already planning to go this direction with
virtualised Windows guests in mind for more rapid testing of
applications so perhaps some goals can be combined here

Kind regards,

Erik van Pienbroek
Fedora MinGW SIG

[1]: http://svn.openftd.org/svn/fedora_cross/