[Development] Not stripping our binaries by default

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Tue Sep 25 11:36:13 CEST 2012

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Fathi Boudra <fabo at debian.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:
> >> That's incorrect. We (Debian/Ubuntu) apply a patch since ages to avoid
> >> stripping.
> >
> > Why? It just works fine on Harmattan and Ubuntu-arm using the debian
> tools.
> > It sounds broken to fail /all/ the time. Such a buildsystem should
> really be
> > fixed, or the package file should use the relevant option established.
>
> I can't comment for Harmattan (don't have looked if the debian tools
> are patched) but for Debian and Ubuntu, if you don't apply the patch,
> debug packages are broken/empty.
> Binaries are already stripped when dh_strip tries to strip them and
> create debug packages.
>
> Simple test: remove the patch and verify the debug packages, they're empty.

Which patch exactly? I have tried to rebuild the same for Ubuntu (arm) as
done for Harmattan, and everything looks alright. Cannot say I can
reproduce this.

More to the point: even if it turns out a bug in certain cases, it is a
false behaviour to always fail. Other buildsystem might expect other
behaviours... Just use the relevant option if you need it established. That
does not mean it has to be default and the behaviour now has to be changed
to get this work.

Laszlo