[Development] Community effort in updating Qt5 docs -- QThread focus

Sze Howe Koh szehowe.koh at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 18:15:33 CEST 2012

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 2:58 AM, Sze Howe Koh <szehowe.koh at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 2:24 AM, Chris Meyer <cmeyer1969+qt at gmail.com>wrote:

>> > For reference, here's a link to the commit implementing this:
>> >

>> http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qt/commit/0c643b179c5154c50b61dba421016b7b48794720
>>
>> This looks like a great change to have. In any case, the overall
>> problem, solution, and in what version it was implemented needs to be
>> documented in the QThread documentation. I missed this
>> commit-log-message-as-documentation before.
>

> Yes, that change makes life a lot nicer; thanks for the reference, João.
> So, is it safe to say now that the old pitfalls of moveToThread() have been
> addressed? (as long as the user doesn't write "moveToThread(this)", of
> course)
>
> Is there a conventional way to document the version where a _behaviour_ is
> introduced? I'm aware of the "\since" tag, but I believe that can only be
> used for classes and functions. Should I just describe it in the main body
> of the text?

I've embedded the information in the updated draft at
http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/20691/ (top of Page 1). Page 2 now
contains updated member function documentation as well.

Again, comments and suggestions are most welcome.

One question: From the source code, it looks like QThread::event() of
QObject::event(), that adds handling of quit events. This seems to be a new
feature of Qt 5; what implications does this have for developers using
QThread?

Regards,
Sze-Howe