[Development] [Announce] Changes to building Qt on Mac OS X

Tor Arne Vestbø tor.arne.vestbo at digia.com
Wed Apr 3 14:01:45 CEST 2013

On 4/3/13 13:13 , Olivier Goffart wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 April 2013 12:38:28 Tor Arne Vestbø wrote:
>>>
>>> Does this mean we can/should upgrade the minimum GCC requirement to more
>>> recent than 4.2?
>>
>> Unfortunately not. Xcode 4.2 for Snow Leopard (10.6) comes with GCC 4.2.1.
>
> So it is not possible to target Snow Leopard with a more recent version of
> XCode?

It's possible. The deployment target sets the lower bound of the
platform that you can run on. Our default deployment target is 10.6.

This is different than the SDK version, which sets the upper bound on
which APIs you can use. You normally build against the latest SDK
version that your Xcode has (typically 10.8 nowadays).

Any API usage in between these two bounds have to be runtime-checked, so
that you can still run on the deployment target.

Tor Arne