[Development] Please warn of force pushes...

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Apr 22 19:19:05 CEST 2013

On segunda-feira, 22 de abril de 2013 17.44.41, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:

> > > why should it be?
> >
> > Because people need to know what to expect if they are going to
> > participate.
> while not entirely invalid, i don't think this is of particular concern.
> somebody who joins the work on a project is supposed to be talking to
> the respective people.

Not necessarily. They may have simply found out about the branch due to our
public posts and blogs, so they're just looking around. Hypothetically, there
are also people maybe working for companies who cannot yet disclose their
interest on WinRT.

These people need to be warned that the branch rebases.

> > > you are effectively asking for a second gerrit instance then.
> > > maybe rethink that.
> >
> > Ok, then add "rebasing" to the branch name somewhere. Preferably:
> > 	wip/rebasing/xxx
>
> sounds over-engineered to me.
> and unnecessarily restrictive, as the policy may change ad-hoc as things
> progress.

Change the branch name when the policy changes.

> i don't think we should put any more energy into discussing this matter.
> the only action point is documenting on the wiki that wip/ branches
> (winrt should have had that prefix, obviously) may be subject to history
> rewriting.

The "wip" prefix does help to identify that the branch is not ready and could
be unstable.

If most wip branches rebase, then we can declare that the entire wip/ prefix is
subject to rebasing. If there's just one, I'd rather have it clearly marked.

In any case, why does this branch rebase? Can't they live with merges?