[Development] Please warn of force pushes...

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at digia.com
Tue Apr 23 18:20:11 CEST 2013

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 08:16:24AM -0700, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On terça-feira, 23 de abril de 2013 11.18.33, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 10:19:05AM -0700, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > > These people need to be warned that the branch rebases.
> >
> > why would they? they can adapt once it happens. i mean, it's a bit of a
> > surprise, but it doesn't change much in the end.
>
> Because the surprise is quite big. If you do a git pull --rebase or git pull,
> it might blow up after dozens lines have scrolled out. People don't pay
> attention to the output of the fetch part.

i don't see that as a problem. if it blows one can easily roll back
with rebase --abort. in the worse case one needs to manually rebase out
some leftovers.

> Though I have to grant that novice users are unlikely to be following those
> branches in the first place. But then, we're left with somewhat knowledgeable
> users following the branches, so they are more likely to have extra commits
> and then have no clue on how to rebase their work on top of the rebased base.
>
> I, for one, will not touch any of the rebasing branches, not even to test
> them. It's too much work to rebase on top of a moving base.

i call that making a mountain out of a molehill.
$ git fetch
$ git rebase --onto @{u} HEAD~4

> > > Change the branch name when the policy changes.
> >
> > i really wouldn't want to do that.
>
> But you're not offering a better solution either. You're just dismissing the
> problem completely:

indeed, my solution is dismissing this NON-problem.

> > > In any case, why does this branch rebase? Can't they live with
> > > merges?
> >
> > well, the wip/ branches often have rather lax review policies (often
> > bypassing domain experts in the case of platform ports) and no CI.
>
> If they're bypassing the reviewers and bypassing the CI, why do they
> need to be in the main Git repositories in Gerrit in the first place?

they are not bypassing review alltogether, they are just "taking
shortcuts".

> Especially if they're bypassing the CI, they could and should just use
> a repository elsewhere. When the branch is ready, it will be submitted
> as individual patches to be reviewed by the regular reviewers, maybe
> starting the work branch.

it's unreasonable to ban everything that does not comply with the
standard workflow for mainline branches.
and if you did, you'd need to ban playground repos as well (where
typically non-approvers can approve changes).