[Development] Please warn of force pushes...

Kalinowski Maurice Maurice.Kalinowski at digia.com
Wed Apr 24 08:28:43 CEST 2013

Hi,

there has been quite many comments about why rebasing might be complicated for some people, but so far I think the advantages for the WinRT branch has not been highlighted. So let me try to summarize why the team thinks that it is beneficial to do so:

a) We do lots of changes upstream and get them back into the WinRT branch very quickly this way. Of course we could do that via other means, but
b) the team bases on dev and wants to ensure that integration back into dev will be a simple step once the port is stable enough. Without any/much rebasing/squashing/history-rewrite efforts when time has come. For both previous ports (Android and iOS)  there have been lots of discussions how to get things back "properly", where so far we failed to make everyone happy. Taking a rebased branch seemed to be beneficial here.

I do agree to Kai that having some official guidelines will benefit future ports as well, but I also fail to see why the WinRT branch now is so much of a difference compared to other ones. Maybe we should move the discussion into a generic one with WinRT being one example beside others instead of complaining about WinRT, but getting to no conclusion after all.

BR,
Maurice