[Development] Qt5 combined source package - Perl dependency

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at digia.com
Sat Apr 27 04:03:07 CEST 2013

On 4/26/13 3:00 AM, "Anttila Janne" <Janne.Anttila at digia.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>As you probably are aware, there has been a long thread on interest
>list about Qt dependency bloat. One of the most commented problems
>has been Perl dependency, especially on Windows.
>
>We have had similar feedback on commercial support channels.
>
>One quite simple change what we could do already for 5.1, is to
>run syncqt before creating combined source archives. This would
>allow building Qt5 sources (except webkit) without perl, like it
>was on Qt4 as well.
>
>Ossi already prepared a patch making this possible for some time
>ago https://codereview.qt-project.org/49833 but it was rejected
>by Thiago and Lars.
>
>I think it is time to re-evaluate this decision now!
>
>Qt-Project now provides split source packages, the split packages
>do not and should not have syncqt executed. Thus they would make
>it possible to cryptographically verify that the sources match
>exactly the repository with no modifications.
>
>The combined source package is provided for convenience.
>I think we should take the next step, and run syncqt before doing
>that archive, and provide even more convenience for Qt5 (Windows)
>developers.

Yes, I have to agree after all. I would prefer not having to ship all
these generated files, but I can also see that it causes issues for people
that want to compile Qt on their own.

But if we do this, we should (at least in the longer term) try being
consistent and also add the generated files in webkit.

Cheers,
Lars