[Development] Setting a Minimum Support OpenSSL Version

Shane Kearns shane.kearns.qt at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 15:13:31 CEST 2013

I agree with this.

There are binary incompatibilities between 0.9 and 1.x, and we haven't
found all of them. Before 1.0, openSSL didn't clearly separate internal
data structures from its API. As a result the existing Qt openssl codebase
is using some internal data structures which causes subtle errors when
using a different openssl version to what it was compiled against.

(of course, we should fix these issues wherever possible by using the
public API of openSSL)

Unfortunately it's usually our users that are finding these problems when
using the windows binary packages.

Linux users are rarely affected, as they more often use source builds or
distro provided binaries that are compiled against the distro provided
openssl packages.

If there are no objections, lets update the documentation and make sure the
binary packages for the next release are using it.