[Development] QtSC: Scene Graph discussion

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Thu Aug 1 19:30:32 CEST 2013

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 6:22 PM, Thiago Macieira
<thiago.macieira at intel.com>wrote:

> On quinta-feira, 1 de agosto de 2013 17:57:03, Laszlo Papp wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 5:52 PM, Hausmann Simon
> <Simon.Hausmann at digia.com>wrote:
> > >  What is the advantage of this approach over static linkage?
> >
> > 1) Not linking into more applications running.
> >
> > 2) It is also safer for the LGPLv2 license without an exception for
> static
> > linking into commercial code.
> >
> > 3) shared library is more widely used so it is more natural for me.
>
> Advantages 1 and 3 make no difference because you'll be building it on your
> own. There will be no sharing of code at runtime. In fact, deploying a
> shared
> library may also make packaging your application more (not less) difficult.

Err... 1) does not make a difference on embedded with a small NOR/NAND
flash? Perhaps, you are thinking about desktop? As far as I can tell, it is
such a big difference that we would need reject Qt if we only had the
static linking option.

I still feel a lot more comfortable with 3) than without. So, yes, 3) is
not necessarily a blocker, just a nice convenience, but 1)-2) are blockers
against using Qt in that way.