[Development] QtSC: Scene Graph discussion

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Aug 1 20:59:31 CEST 2013

On quinta-feira, 1 de agosto de 2013 19:38:12, Laszlo Papp wrote:
> 3

This discussion is going off on a tangent but...

you do realise that there's an overhead associated with dynamic libraries,
right? The code runs slightly slower due to indirect access to functons and
data, and there's a start-time impact due to the relocation and dynamic
linking. Even if you use prelink, the problems do not go away completely.

I find it hard to believe that you have a device with "small NOR/NAND flash"
(your words), a very quick processor and large amounts of RAM to cache
everything.

Without knowing the specifics, I find the situation inconsistent. You're
probably better off statically linking everything into one huge binary, using
the Qt feature system to drop features from the build. Remember to drop the -
fPIC flag when building Qt too, to improve code generation.

Please take a look at this email from almost exactly one year ago and the
thread it belongs to for more information:
http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2012-July/005428.html