[Development] QtSC: Scene Graph discussion

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Thu Aug 1 23:01:40 CEST 2013

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 9:46 PM, Thiago Macieira
<thiago.macieira at intel.com>wrote:

> On quinta-feira, 1 de agosto de 2013 20:21:23, Laszlo Papp wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM, Thiago Macieira
> >
> > <thiago.macieira at intel.com>wrote:
> > >
> > > This discussion is going off on a tangent but...
> > >
> > > you do realise that there's an overhead associated with dynamic
> libraries,
> > > right? The code runs slightly slower due to indirect access to functons
> > > and
> > > data, and there's a start-time impact due to the relocation and dynamic
> > > linking. Even if you use prelink, the problems do not go away
> completely.
> >
> > Startup time is no concern in our product.
>
> I did mention runtime performance impact too due to -fPIC. All
> architectures
> (except IA-64[*]) are affected. Please take the time to investigate a
> single
> statically-linked executable.

Actually, we started off by static linkage for libraries before switching
to dynamic, but there were no significant issues in our system. As I
already wrote, flash is more of a concern.

Of course, if qt and scene graph was outstandingly use (waste, imo) the
memory, that would be a blocker, too, but that is an entirely different
question to flash.