[Development] QML Basic types: date and time

Mitch Curtis mitch.curtis at digia.com
Fri Aug 2 13:01:47 CEST 2013

Hello.

In light of [1], I'm beginning to wonder what the purpose of QML's basic
date [2] and time [3] types are. The time type can't be used, and the
date type can be replaced with var, since it is implicitly converted to
a Date object [4] (JS Date object with QML locale extensions) anyway:

import QtQuick 2.0

Item {
     Timer {
         running: true
         interval: 100
         onTriggered: Qt.quit();
     }

     property date basicDate: "2012-12-31"
     property var date: new Date("2012-12-31")

     Component.onCompleted: {
         print(basicDate.getFullYear()); // Implicitly converted to Date
object.
         print(date.getFullYear()); // Why not just use this?
     }
}

Do we need these types? If not, can we deprecate them in 5.2?

Cheers.

[1] https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-32295
[2] http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/qt5-stable/qtqml/qml-date.html
[3] http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/qt5-stable/qtqml/qml-time.html