[Development] Extending Qt::AlignmentFlag

Saether Jan-Arve Jan-Arve.Saether at digia.com
Fri Aug 2 15:23:12 CEST 2013

I have recently been trying to add support for baseline alignment in Qt Quick Layouts.

I therefore want to add another enum value to the Qt::AlignmentFlag enum in qnamespace.h

However, as the comment above the AlignmentFlag enum says, it should be possible to combine the flags in Qt::AlignmentFlag with the flags in Qt::TextFlag. This is done in for instance QPainter::drawText()[1]. Therefore, none of the flags overlap with each other.

The natural choice would be to just extend the Qt::AlignmentFlag with AlignBaseline = 0x0100, but this could cause ambiguities with Qt::TextSingleLine = 0x0100

As I really want to add AlignBaseline to Qt::AlignmentFlag, I see two alternatives:
1. Add AlignBaseline = 0x80000000
This will not cause any ambiguity, but would need some commenting in order to avoid that Qt::TextFlag will claim its value at some point in the future. We could even add a ReservedByAlignBaseline = 0x80000000 to Qt::TextFlag to reduce the risk further.

2. Add AlignBaseline = 0x0100
This should in fact also not cause any ambiguity thanks to some restrictions in the API's that combines these two sets of flags. For instance, QPainter::drawText() [1] explicitly lists all valid values. Therefore it would be wrong to pass Qt::AlignBaseline to it, and when Qt::TextSingleLine is passed it shouldn't cause any ambiguity.

Which alternative would be the preferred? Is there any obstacles I haven't foreseen with alternative 2?

Here's the patch, which currently uses alternative 2 (which I'm currently leaning towards).
https://codereview.qt-project.org/61632

[1] http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.1/qtgui/qpainter.html#drawText-4