[Development] RPATH in libraries

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sun Aug 4 18:51:10 CEST 2013

On domingo, 4 de agosto de 2013 10:20:51, Dmitry Ashkadov wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have a problem with Qt 5.1. All Qt libraries have RPATH installed:
>
> system Qt:
> > $ objdump -x  /usr/lib64/libQt5Quick.so | grep RPATH
> >
> >   RPATH                /usr/lib64
>
> local Qt:
> > $ objdump -x ~/build/qt5/install/lib/libQt5Quick.so | grep RPATH
> >
> >   RPATH                /home/dmitry/build/qt5/install/lib
>
> If a local Qt works fine, the system Qt doesn't work (:. because RPATH
> is set. I have a Nvidia video and nvidia provides its implementation of
> OpenGL. But because RPATH is set then Qt runs with mesa openGL and fails:

First of all, you should fix your system tools to generate DT_RUNPATH instead
of DT_RPATH. I don't get why they aren't enabled 10 years after the DT_RPATH
entry was deprecated...

Anyway, there's a way to turn rpath off. Pass the -no-rpath option to configure.

> LDD finds library using RPATH first of all, so, for local installed Qt5

That's why RPATH was deprecated and replaced with RUNPATH.